Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Likes to be Chose

Imported from our Harvest Church Blogs
Original Blog Date: 06-13-2005

After Sunday's sermon and video presentation, I've been thinking about the subject of "I chose you" more and more. I have heard this preached on many times, and it's always intrigued me. I heard a guy on James Dobson's FOCUS on the Family broadcast who was really funny that spoke on this subject really well. This guy (I'll call him JOHN for the sake of writing about it) said that when he was in school, that when it was time for everyone to choose sides for a game, that the 2 leaders would choose a kid, and then in turn the other one would choose one. This would go on until everyone but John had been chosen. The last leader to choose would then say something like "Whatever, I reckon we'll take John", as if it was going to kill him. John said something like "I don't know about you, but.....I likes to be chose". He was laughing about the situation, but in a solemn and sad sort of way too. I thought back on my elementary school days and about the kids that didn't make the cut and the sad looks they'd give. I'd often like the underdog to be on my team, but the team leaders usually wouldn't. I was always very fast, and quite athletic (believe it or not, ha) and I almost always got chose. I won two gold medals running track and was a part of the track team in Springdale Arkansas. I played soccer and was always the forward (the hotshot point maker). So, when younger, I didn't really have to deal with not being chose. I don't remember ever being the leader doing the choosing, but I usually got chosen pretty quickly. You know what, we all like to be chose don't we? We all like to be recognized by others, to feel important to others. God made us this way, and rightly so.
Check this verse out:
John 15:16 - You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.(NIV)

God chose us. You know, it's doesn't get any better than that. If you have a self-esteem problem, then this truth alone should set you free. I grew up with a big self-esteem problem, and much of that carries still to this day. I can remember my Mom telling me when I'd say something negative that I couldn't do, "Don't you say that, God has made you more than a conqueror" and "You're God's child". I could see her almost get mad, but in a Holy sort of way. This always left an impression on me to quit being negative. I think God himself gets angry when we say "I can't do it" when he has already said "You CAN do it". I think if we could all grasp hold of the truth that God has chosen and appointed us for HIS work, that we will want to praise and worship Him more. Our self-esteem can rest in Him and our credentials in the fact that we're HIS son/daughter, and we're more than conquerors.
I don't like for others to be left out, and I hope I never do that. I hope God will open my eyes to those that are looking to me to choose them. A lot of times, it may be our own sons or daughters that need to feel "chose". I'm thankful that my Father God has chosen me. I want you to know, that he's chosen YOU.
1 Peter 2:9 says: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:(KJV)

II Thessalonians 2:13 says: But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth.(NIV)

God chose us to bear fruit that would last. He chose us to do what He did. It feels good to be CHOSE, especially when the CHOOSER is the Lord of Heaven and Earth. I don't know about you, but I likes to be chose.
Kenneth

No comments :